Ghana government discusses funeral plans with Kofi Annan’s family

Kofi Annan, former UN secretary general. Photo : AFP

Casablanca (ADV) – The government will open a book of condolence on Wednesday at the Accra International Conference Centre for late Ghanaian and former Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN), Kofi Annan who died over the weekend at age 80.

Speaking on the Citi Breakfast Show on Monday, Minister of Information nominee, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said the government is also in talks with the family over where Kofi Annan’s funeral will be held.

“Yesterday the president engaged with his immediate family here in Accra and on Wednesday books of condolences are being opened first at the Accra International Conference and our missions across the world. Today and tomorrow as well we are engaging with the family so that we begin exploring how to ensure that we give him a befitting final burial especially looking at the global interest.”

He said: “the State stands ready to provide all the support and the logistics that are required for whichever option agreed open.”

Mr. Annan, the celebrated Ghanaian diplomat, died in the Swiss capital of Bern, in the early hours of Saturday.

Several tributes have been pouring in since Saturday when the death of Kofi Annan broke.

The Government of Ghana directed that country’s flags should be flown in Ghana and in all the country’s missions at half-mast for a week beginning today, Monday, August 20, 2018.

The family of late Kofi Annan had earlier asked for privacy to mourn their beloved.

“The family kindly requests privacy at this time of mourning,” a statement from his foundation stated.

© Bur-csa – ADV