Shell Tanzania promotes science subjects in the educational sector countrywide

Young Scientists Tanzania at Young Scientist and Technology Exibition in dublin. Photo : International Student Magazine

Johannesburg, South Africa (ADV) – Shell Tanzania and Young Scientist Tanzania (YST) recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aiming to encourage young people to venture into the science sector, the Daily News reported.

Shell Tanzania stated that it will inject $100 000 to YST’s activities  and across secondary school to develop science subjects.

YST is an organisation offering a free secondary school student’s competition to showcase projects that use scientific methodologies in the areas of Biology, Ecology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Social Sciences and Technology.

The organisation also undertakes two programmes that seek to deliver integrated and complementary events in the Tanzanian secondary school academic year.

Shell Tanzania Managing Director, Marc den Hartog, said his firm’s support goes towards aiding students in their mastery of the disciplines mostly Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).

“The course will include a comprehensive Science Outreach Programme that covers all the regions in the country, and an Annual YST Exhibition as well as competition in which Secondary School students showcase their researches,” he said.

“This is because the company operates in an area that requires a lot of technical expertise to undertake its projects.”

Den Hartog said his company believes that industrialisation and economic development of a country is anchored in science and technology.

“Supporting YST is the best thing that I have seen. It has really made a difference and in the long term, it is increasing the number of people who are really educated,” he added.

YTS Director and Co-founder, Dr Gozibert Kamugisha expressed appreciation to Shell Tanzania, saying he hopes the company will continue with an investment that they make in young scientists which is good for the country.

© Bur-JHB – E.M/N.N – African Daily Voice (ADV) – Follow us on Twitter : @ADVinfo_eng