Libya: 12 IS fighters after the deadly attack

The Libyan army. Photo: Reuters

NEWSROOM (ADV) – The Libyan army and security forces have killed 12 Islamic State (IS) fighters near the southeastern city of Tazirbu after a deadly attack on Friday, a military source said Saturday night.

The joint forces “followed in the footsteps of the terrorists, who had been hiding in the uninhabited areas west of Tazirbu,” the source said.

Armed vehicles were destroyed, weapons and ammunition seized, she added.

The town, a small oasis, suffered a deadly attack on Friday when dozens of assailants in armed vehicles targeted a police station and a number of government buildings, killing eight people and injuring more than fifteen others.

The terrorists had also taken dozens of people hostage before leaving.

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) condemned the attack, calling on the warring parties to “immediately stop targeting civilian objects and persons in accordance with international humanitarian law”.

Tazirbu has one of the largest sources of groundwater supplying the cities of western and central Libya.

© Bur-csa – N.W – African Daily Voice (ADV) – Follow us on Twitter : @ADVinfo_eng