Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (ADV) – Erstwhile protagonists in South Sudan’s civil war are making are making good on their promise to implement the deal reached in September, sources said.
The United States, Britain and Norway who are the three custodians to the revitalized peace process made the assessment in a statement issued on Friday.
They expressed optimism over the situation in spite of a deep-seated concern that progress is being undermined by recent fighting in Wau and Yei.
“We have seen positive steps; they said, adding, that some key transitional governance bodies have been formed, senior members of opposition parties have returned to Juba, and both government and opposition representatives are participating in the work of the National Pre-Transitional Committee and the National Constitutional Amendment Committee.
“Members of government and opposition forces have jointly visited previously contested territories. Overall, violence has decreased, and some prisoners of war and political detainees have been released”.
The troika recommends that this initial progress needs to be built on and consolidated, to increase trust and confidence among South Sudanese and with the international community.
It further recommends that the country’s pre-transitional bodies need to be empowered to function effectively and drive forward the implementation of the peace accord, with the country’s resources clearly used to fund the deal.
The three countries pointed out that inclusiveness in the implementation of the agreement, specifically participation by civil society, women, and displaced populations, will help build peace.
They finally urged urged all parties to uphold their commitments and cooperate on addressing and preventing violations of the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement and the new peace agreement.
Sudan’s President Salva Kiir and his former vice President Riek Machar had carried out a long-drawn and bloody battle for power over the past four years leaving thousands killed and millions fleeing the country.
Several peace agreements failed with the penultimate on in Khartoum last September making signs of success.
© Bur-csa – N.W / From our regional correspondent Tamba Jean-Matthew III – African Daily Voice (ADV)