Casablanca, Morocco (ADV) – Morocco thwarted at least 54,000 attempts to smuggle illegal immigrants into Europe in the first eight months of 2018, the government spokesman Mustapha El Khalfi said Thursday.
The figure testifies to the intense efforts made by the Moroccan authorities to fight illegal international immigration networks, El Khalfi said during a press briefing following the weekly cabinet meeting.
He said Moroccan authorities will continue their efforts to crack down on smuggling networks.
Morocco has become a hub for African migrants who seek to reach Europe. Thousands of migrants mainly from Sub-Saharan Africa try to flee each year via Morocco, either by land into the Spanish occupied enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla or by sea often in makeshift boats.
Security forces in Morocco managed last year to prevent from putting their lives in danger some 50,000 illegal immigrants and dismantled over 70 organized illegal international immigration networks.
© Bur-csa – N.A – African Daily Voice (ADV)