Casablanca (ADV) – The Libyan government announced late on Monday that more than 1,800 families had been displaced by clashes in the south of the capital Tripoli.
A total of 1,825 families were displaced from seven areas in Tripoli to other safe areas, as a result of armed clashes between government forces and armed militias, the Ministry for Displaced People’s Affairs said in a press release.
More than 2,000 distress calls have been received, of which some concern random shells and injuries, the statement said.
The ministry also predicted that at least 1,000 families from southern Tripoli will be displaced in case the clashes intensify, and civilian casualties are likely to rise as a result of indiscriminate shooting.
Southern Tripoli has been witnessing violent clashes since Aug. 27 between government forces and armed militias, killing 41 people and injuring 123 others.
The Libyan interior ministry on Friday announced a cease-fire in Tripoli under the auspices of the United Nations. However, witnesses said heavy gunfire and explosions could still be heard in some parts of the capital city.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the continued escalation of violence in and around Tripoli, warning that “indiscriminate use of force is a violation of international humanitarian and human rights law.”
© Bur-csa – N.A – ADV